There are more ways than one of deploying a parachute sea anchor, but a simple, safe and effective method is:
- Rig the system prior to departure. Secure the rode line from the bow outside of the lifelines fastened to the toe rails or stanchion bases by plastic cable ties.
- Lead it to the cockpit where it is made secure to the nearest stanchion base.
When the parachute sea anchor is required:
- Shackle all lines to the appropriate parts and deploy the retrieval floats over the windward side
- Deploy the Para-Anchor in its self-deploying bag.
- Allow Para-Anchor to inflate with the water.
- Once inflated and all lines have deployed and the boat is stable, check for security and eliminate chafe.
- Now set up a regular radio and anchor watch and then go below and enjoy the ride.